Two-time USA Outdoor champion (’07, ’08); 2007 World Outdoor champion; 2006 World Indoor champion; 2008 World Indoor silver medalist; 2006 USA Indoor champion; 2004 World Indoors silver medalist; 2003 Pan Am Games gold medalist; Three-time USA Outdoor runner-up (’06, ’09, '10); Two-time USA Indoor runner-up (’04, ’05, ‘07)
Hoffa demonstrated his consistency in recent years with his third place finish at the 2009 USA Outdoor Championships and by finishing as the runner-up in that event in 2010. Hoffa has now finished in the top five at the USA Outdoor Championships for eight consecutive years. Hoffa continued his winning ways at big events in 2008 with his triumph at the U.S. Olympic Trials. He won on his final throw of the competition of 22.10m/72-6.25, which was the second-best throw in the world in 2008. After winning the 2007 USA Indoor and Outdoor men’s shot put titles, Hoffa set his sights on the world stage, winning the World Outdoor gold medal with a throw of 22.04m/72-3.75. In fact, all but the last of Hoffa's legal throws - he threw 21.58/70-9.75 in the sixth round - exceeded the best that the rest of the field had to offer. Hoffa threw past the 70-foot barrier at 10 separate events in 2007. For his efforts, Hoffa was ranked #1 in the world in the men’s shot put by Track & Field News for the second consecutive year. He enjoyed the finest indoor season of his career in 2006 highlighted by his victories at the USA Indoor Championships in Boston and the World Indoor Championships. At the World Indoor Championships in Moscow he unleashed a massive world-leading and personal best heave of 22.11 meters/72 feet, 6.50 inches, which placed him #8 on the all-time indoor list and makes him the fourth-best indoor performer all-time. That performance propelled him to the #1 ranking in the world by Track & Field News for the first time in his career. 2003 and 2004 saw him emerge as a world-class athlete. His 2004 season was highlighted by a silver medal and personal best at the 2004 World Indoors (21.07m/69-1.5)….He set a Pan American Games shot put record on August 5, 2003 in winning the gold medal with a throw of 20.95 meters/68 feet, 8.75 inches to break the previous mark of 20.52m/67-4 by C.J. Hunter in 1995. Hoffa’s previous personal best came earlier in 2003 with his runner-up finish at the 2003 Home Depot Invitational, where he threw 20.90m/68-7. He set a PR of 21.67m/71-1.25 at the 2004 Home Depot Invitational. A huge professional wrestling fan, Hoffa competed while wearing a mask at that event, dubbing himself the “Unknown Shot Putter.” Earned All-American honors for the fourth straight year in 2001, placing third in the shot put at the NCAA Outdoor Championships with a throw of 19.93/65-4.75...runner-up at NCAA Indoor Championships with a mark of 60-7.75...two-time prep All-American and state shot put champ at Lakeside...named area Athlete-of-the-Year twice...ranked second nationally in the indoor shot...also competed in football, baseball and wrestling...says his dream is to compete in a bear suit, being brought onto the track in a cage…married Renata Hoffa on November 26, 2005.
- 2010: USA Outdoor runner-up (21.33m/69-11.75)…4th at USA Indoors (20.42m/67.0)… 2nd at Millrose Games (20.59m/67-6.75)… 1st in Brussels (22.16m/72-8.50)...2nd at Bydgoszcz (20.97m/ 68-9.75)… 1st at Kentucky Invite (21.20m/69-6.75)… 1st at Bulldog Limited (21.14m/69-4.25)… 3rd at Doha (21.00m/68-10.75)… 4th at Oslo (20.69m/67-10.75)… 2nd at Drake Relays (20.56m/67-5.5)…4that Stockholm (20.68m/67-10.25)...ranked #2 in world & U.S. by T&FN...best of 22.16m/72-8.50.
- 2009:3rd at USA Outdoor Champs (21.10m/69-2.75)...4th at World Outdoors (21.28m/69-9.75)...1stat Nike Prefontaine Classic (21.89m/71-10)...1st at Doha (21.64m/71-0)...1st at Hengelo (21.59m/70-10)...ranked #3 in world, #2 U.S. by T&FN...best of 21.89m/71-10.
- 2008: Olympic Trials champion (22.10m/72-06.25)…7th at Olympic Games (20.53m/67-8.75)…2nd at Nike Prefontaine Classic (21.73m/71-3.50)…1st at Reebok Grand Prix (21.29m/69-10.25)…World Indoor Champs silver medalist (21.20m/66-3.25)…2nd at USA Indoor Champs (21.40m/70-2.50)…1stat Doha (21.48m/70-5.75)…ranked #3 in world, #2 U.S. by T&FN...best of 22.10m/72-6.25
- 2007: World champion (22.04m/72-3.75)...USA Outdoor champion (21.47m/70-5.25)…USA Indoor runner-up (21.21m/69-7)… 1st at London (22.43m/73-7.25PR)…2nd at Millrose Games (21.75m/71-4.25)…3rd at adidas Track Classic (21.36m/70-1)…1st at Alabama Relays (21.84m/71-8)…2nd at Nike Prefontaine Classic (21.65m/71-0.5)…2nd at Madrid (20.81m/68-3.25)…1st at Ostrava (21.77m/71-5.25)…1st at Doha (21.37m/70-1.5)… ranked #1 in world by T&FN…best of 22.43m/73-7.25.
- 2006: World Indoor Champion (22.11m/72-6.5PR, WL)…USA Outdoor runner-up (21.96m/72-0.75)…USA Indoor champion (21.61m/70-10.75)…4th at Nike Prefontaine Classic (20.98m/68-10)…ranked #1 in world by T&FN…best of 22.11m/72-6.5i.
- 2005: USA Indoors runner-up (21.74m/71-4)...5th at USA Outdoors (20.90m/68-7)…1st at Millrose Games (21.61m/70-11.25)…1st at Doha (21.29m/69-10.25)…ranked #4 in world (#3 U.S.) by T&FN…best of 21.29m/69-10.25.
- 2004: Silver medalist at World Indoors (21.07m/69-1.5PR)…2nd at Olympic Trials (21.14m/69-4.25)…22nd in qualifying at Olympic Games (19.40m/63-7.75)…runner-up at USA Indoors (20.97m/68-9.75)…3rd at Nike Prefontaine Classic (20.38m/66-10.5)…1st at Atlanta (20.71m/67-11.5)… 2nd at Verizon Millrose Games (19.98m/65-6.75)…2nd at Drake Relays SP (19.61m/64-4)…2nd at Home Depot SP (21.67m/71-1.25PR)…1st at Santiago SP (20.99m/68-10.5)…1st in Atlanta SP (20.71m/67-11.5)…ranked #6 world (#3 U.S.) by T&FN…best of 21.67m/71-1.25.
- 2003: 3rd at USA Outdoors (20.64m/67-8.75)…1st at Pan American Games (20.95m/68-8.75PR)…5th at USA Indoors (19.40m/63-7.75)…2nd at Home Depot Invitational (20.90m/68-7)…2nd at Stanford (20.65/67-9)... ranked #9 in world (#5 U.S.) by T&FN… best of 68-8.75.
- 2002: 6th at USA Indoors (18.82m/61-9)…6th at USA Outdoors (20.47m/67-2)…ranked #7 in U.S. by T&FN…best of 20.47m/67-2.
- 2001: 6th at USA Outdoors (19.95/65-5.5)…3rd at NCAA Outdoors (19.93/65-4.75)…SEC Outdoor champ…9th at World University Games…ranked #6 in U.S. by T&FN…best of 20.22/66-4.25.
- 2000: 6th at U.S. Olympic Trials in SP (18.95/62-2.25)...2nd at NCAA Indoors (18.48/60-7.75)... 4th in SP at NCAA Outdoors (19.79/64-11.25PR)...ranked 5th in U.S...bests of (19.79/64-11.25) and 49.04/160-11DT.
- 1999: 2nd at Southeastern Conference Champs...11th at NCAA Outdoors...8th at USA Outdoors...best of 62-7.25.
- 1998: 3rd at SEC Outdoors...11th at NCAA Outdoors...best of 62-7.25.
- 1997: 5th at National Scholastics...best of 64-3HS.